Monday, April 21, 2008

The Make-Up, Break-Up Test



Sorry for not posting yesterday - it turns out that I finally stumbled upon a productive day (I know!), so I used my time wisely and tried to work my ass off.

The final result? I managed to emerge from a long weekend (of beautiful weather!) unscathed and with a working, preliminary syllabus. Tres excitant!

Of course it's not all sunshine and daisies. Now comes the true hard part, or what I call the make-up, break-up test. It's like after a while of being content with someone, you come to the point of no return and have to make a decision about whether to stick with them long term or kick them to the curb.

The truth of the matter is that I have to submit my syllabus to the department for approval / photopcopying. Doing that is akin to sending a nasty e-mail or letter: once you've done it, there's no taking it back. So I now have to decide whether I want to make-up with these films / readings and go the distance with them for the course, or give them the keys to the streets and find suitable replacements.

Mentally there's definitely some juggling going on, but (in case you're interested) here is the working 'preliminary' list:

Class 1 - Introduction: Rocky Horror Picture Show
Class 2 - Introduction: Donnie Darko
Class 3 - Paracinema: Pink Flamingos
Class 4 - Slasher: Friday the 13th - Part 7 (The New Blood)
Class 5 - Splatstick: Braindead aka Dead/Alive
Class 6 - Women in Prison: Caged Heat
Class 7 - Sexploitation: Showgirls
Class 8 - Controversy 1 (Sex): Crash (1996)
Class 9 - Controversy 2 (Violence): Battle Royale
Class 10 - Textual Poaching (TV 1): The Prisoner
Class 11 - Seriality (TV 2): Twin Peaks
Class 12 - Why isn't this Cult?: Strange Days

What do you guys think? I'm unsure about Donnie Darko and Friday the 13th.

Films that didn't make the cu(l)t: Mad Max/Tank Girl (Dystopian), Coffy/Foxy Brown (Blaxploitation), Black Christmas (Slasher/National Cinema), Audition/Ichi the Killer (Excess/National Cinema), Blue Velvet/Lost Highway (Lynch!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice list. "Showgirls" notwithstanding, it's a little light on the comedies. No "Clue"? No "Heathers"? Those are some of the cultiest films I know.